Take Home Assignment #6: Kurios: Cabinet of Curiosities
In this assignment, you will use a film for inspiration for your own artwork.
In class, you will be shown a video of Cirque du Soleil's show KURIOS. This travelling show toured through Winnipeg last year. Here is a summary of the film: "Step into the curio cabinet of an ambitious inventor who defies the laws of time, space and dimension in order to reinvent everything around him. Suddenly, the visible becomes invisible, perspectives are transformed, and the world is literally turned upside down."
Your challenge is to create a full-page artwork in colour, inspired by the colours, stories, ideas, scenery, events, or characters in this Cirque du Soleil performance of Kurios. (Please do not draw actual scenes or characters from the film; use the film to INSPIRE your own creativity.)
Take Home Assignment #5: Dictionary Page
Your work must have colour, somewhere in it!
This assignment is due at the beginning of class on Thursday, December 20th.
Take Home Assignment #4: Phobia
Create an interpretation or representation of a phobia.
Click HERE to see a massive list of options!
Use any 2D medium (or see me if you prefer to work 3D.)
For this assignment, you must:
- Develop and finish the work at home.
- Fill a whole page of your idea journal.
- Spend at least one hour (preferably more) on the artwork.
- Write the name of the phobia on the BACK your artwork.
This assignment is due on Monday, November 26th.
Take Home Assignment #3: Fake Flyer
Watch this video from The Art Assignment. Artist and musician Nathaniel Russell's work plays with the divide between real and imagined, making posters and flyers for events that may or may not exist.
I am asking you to make a fake flyer and share it with the world too.
Your assignment is to...
Take Home Assignment #2: Book Cover
Design a front and back cover for the FRC Scribbler.
This year's theme is "A Splash of Colour" - dealing with diversity, inclusiveness, uniqueness, pride, standing out, and celebrating life. Your design can be made digitally, or hand made. The design must be visually attractive, interesting, and rendered in detail (no 'sketches' will be accepted).
Please keep in mind:
This assignment is due on Monday,
November 5th at the start of class.
Idea Journal Assignment #1: SIX SOMETHINGS
This is an at-home assignment for you to complete over the next two weeks. The whole assignment should take approximately 3 – 6 hours to complete, so do a little each night in order to avoid cramming the whole assignment into one night before it’s due!
We have just completed a whole month of practicing “drawing from observation” – rendering people or objects “just as we see them”.
FINAL CHALLENGE:Create a series of 6 (six) OBSERVATIONAL* graphite pencil or coloured pencil drawings of six types of one thing. For example, draw six different frogs. Or six different famous statues. Or six different chocolate bars. Or six of your relatives. Each drawing should be fully developed, and a minimum 3” X 3”, drawn in your idea journal.
* Remember that in order to create an accurate observational drawing, you must LOOK at the thing (either in real life, or on a photograph) while drawing it, paying attention to its proportions, position, colours / values, etc. In order to record small details, the “thing” you’re drawing should be the same size you’re drawing it (minimum). Look at it on a computer, in a library book, or on a printed page, rather than on your phone. Observational drawing is the toughest kind of drawing to do – it takes patience, your full attention and TIME – it can’t be rushed. Please do your best to work slowly and in a focused way! J
This assignment is due on October 12th at the start of class.